My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, December 31, 2012

The Man Who Died Twice.

There are things about the old year going out and the new year coming in that I could do without.

One of them is that many shows begin showing all the famous people we have known who have passed away during the year.  Something we older generation can attest to is that the older we get the more people we are familiar with (be it movie star/ singer/ politician etc) the more leave us.   And inevitably while watching this list of people one will show up that we didn’t know had passed away.

This year that one, for me, was one of those I fondly called, *a love of my life*  and so upon hearing his name I found my eyes quickly filling with tears and they flowed down my cheeks as my memories turned on and went back to a 10 year old girl immensely smitten and in love with the exotic Mr.. Turhan Bey.   The movie that always took my breath away was Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves… and the slave of Maria Montez.

I could say his passing was doubly hurtful for me, since for me, he has died twice.  For surely I have gotten this emotional twice over the same man.

My story goes like this:

About 17 yrs ago I was lying in bed in California listening to my favorite call in radio program called the Greg Hunter Show.  They openly talked about movies and actors, mostly older movies but sometimes it was a new one.

For years before this I had believed Turhan Bey had died at a fairly young age.  So when a caller who was talking to Greg Hunter asked: Did you know that your friend Turhan Bey is going to appear on both Seaquest and Babylon 5? I did a sit up in bed and screamed at the radio and then calmed down enough to write down the information about when he would appear.   I went around like the proverbial *chicken with their head chopped off* looking for a blank vhs tape so I could record the events.

Not long after doing this, and becoming elated that Turhan was still among the living I wrote him a very long letter in which I proclaimed my love for him when I was 10 yrs old stating that I was going to grow up and he would marry me and protect me the way he protected Maria Montez in Ali Baba.  And how I had long ago heard he had passed away and was divested for years and how I heard he was going to appear on television and all I did to record him and on and on.  I didn’t really expect to hear from him but I did ask for an autographed photo… just in case.

My reply came about a whole year later….

bey2_zpsc12c9bf2[1]

(if you can’t read his handwriting it says: You should be a writer! Your letter that was forwarded to Vienna and finally reached me is a masterpiece!  Thank you for remembering me! Hope this finds you in high spirits and good health!                       Your, Turhan Bey)

Below is the photo he sent me.

bey3_zps6fe5ab32[1]

and below is a photo of Turhan as he appeared on Babylon 5.

babylon5_zpsd179b89e[1]

The photo’s underneath are some that I collected of him over the years.

turhanbeyAnimation1_zpsc4dbbac8[2]

And so… as I watched television this morning the station decided to show people we lost during 2012…

When Turhan’s photo and name appeared my heart shattered and I broke down and cried.  I knew this time if was for real. 

He had a good life and was 90 yrs old , he passed away this last September and I didn’t know until now. I found this very nice Obituary on him:

Turhan Bey obituary

Successful 1940s film actor whose exotic roles led fan magazines to dub him 'the Turkish Delight'

  • Wednesday 10 October 2012 13.06 EDT

clip_image001

Turhan Bey with Katharine Hepburn in Dragon Seed (1944). Photograph: SNAP/Rex Features

"Exotic" is the epithet most frequently used to describe the series of Technicolored escapist movies produced by Universal Pictures in the 1940s. These profitable films, often set in a North African or Arabian desert recreated on the studio backlot, featured the Dominican actor Maria Montez; Sabu, the Indian teenage boy; Jon Hall (son of a Swiss actor and a Tahitian princess); and Turhan Bey, who has died aged 90. Bey was often cast as wily, "foreign" villains, or romantic leads in thrillers and Arabian Nights fantasies, for which he was dubbed by fan magazines "the Turkish Delight".

Son of a Turkish diplomat father and a Czech industrialist mother, he was born Turhan Gilbert Selahattin Sahultavy in Vienna, but emigrated to the US with his mother and grandmother shortly before Austria was annexed by Germany in 1938. In California, through his uncle, a mathematician, he was introduced to Albert Einstein, with whom he kept up a close friendship over the years. But his original intention to study science was soon replaced by acting, which he studied at the Pasadena Playhouse.

Bey's debut film was a British whodunnit called Shadows on the Stairs (1941), in which he played Ram Singh, a turbaned Indian patriot, one of several murder suspects in a London boarding house. In the same year, he signed up with Universal Pictures, for which he made about five movies a year from 1941.

In the early years, Bey appeared as Japanese characters in several B war films with interchangeable titles such as Burma Convoy, Bombay Clipper, Danger in the Pacific and Destination Unknown, as well as in the serial Junior G-Men of the Air, in which he has to do battle with the Dead End Kids.

Bey's first principal role came in The Mummy's Tomb (1942), in which he played an Egyptian high priest called Mehemet Bey, who brings Kharis (Lon Chaney Jr), the 3,000-year-old "living" mummy, to America to avenge the desecration of a holy tomb. In this low-budget sequel to The Mummy's Hand, Bey gave a subtle performance, at least in comparison to the eye-rolling of the rest of the cast. In another horror movie, The Mad Ghoul (1943), Bey had his first "straight" role, as the accompanist of a concert singer threatened by the brainwashed character of the title.

He was lent to MGM for Dragon Seed (1944), based on Pearl Buck's novel about Chinese peasants fighting against the Japanese occupation – with a mostly Caucasian cast, including Katharine Hepburn as his wife. More significant, however, was his smallish part as the captain of the guard in Arabian Nights (1942), in which he sells Montez, as Scheherazade, into slavery. The film was the first of the Technicolor extravaganzas featuring Montez, Hall, Sabu and Bey.

Fourth-billed in the romance White Savage (1943), set in the South Seas, Bey played the gambling brother of a princess (Montez). In Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves (1944), he is Montez's slave and the knife-throwing friend of the hero (Hall), but in Sudan (1945), Bey, as a romantic rebel leader, is the object of Montez's affections, and Hall is the sidekick. According to the critic of the New York Times: "Through it all, Miss Montez saunters with the regality of an usherette, while Turhan Bey gives a boyish imitation of Rudolph Valentino as the desert sheik."

The enjoyably nonsensical Night in Paradise (1946) co-starred Bey as Aesop with Merle Oberon as the Queen of Persia, whom he rescues from King Croesus. At first, Bey appears as an old man who has an aphorism for every occasion but, according to Time magazine, "once he falls for the Persian Queen, he turns up in her bedroom dressed in the ancient equivalent of white flannels and looking as if he has just gulped a goldfish and is now quite prepared to polish off Miss Oberon as a chaser".

It was the last of Bey's pictures for Universal, and the last before he joined the US army. He returned to Hollywood to star as a false medium in The Amazing Mr X (1948), and to be reunited with Sabu in the jungle adventure The Song of India (1949), in both of which he played suave evildoers. His final film, before a retirement from acting that lasted 40 years, was Prisoners of the Casbah (1953), with Bey this time as a hero pitted against wicked Cesar Romero.

Feeling that he had gone as far as he could in films, Bey returned to Vienna, where he became a successful photographer. He also directed a few plays at the marionette theatre in Salzburg. However, in 1993, on one of his many trips back to Los Angeles, Bey agreed to return to his earlier profession. Among his roles during this second coming were an angel in The Skateboard Kid II (1995) and an emperor in the TV series Babylon 5 (1995 and 1998).

Bey never married. He wished to marry the actress Lana Turner in 1944, but gave her up because his mother disapproved.

• Turhan Bey (Turhan Gilbert Selahattin Sahultavy), actor, born 30 March 1922; died 30 September 2012

I will always love you Turhan…  RIP.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I hate it when this happens... missing the death of someone you adored as a kid. I don't actually remember this actor but can appreciate how upset you much be feeling. What a nice tribute to him you've written, Pat.

3:47 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

How wonderful that you have that lovely note from him...! He was such an attractive special actor...In a way, it was amazing that he had the career he had, only because of the fact that he did not look like anyone else...!
I understand your grief, Pat....especially, as you said, it's like you lost him twice...!

9:05 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath & naomi: it's strange when I was younger and thought he was gone it was easier somehow.. probably being kept busy with small children and such..now that I am old... it hurts a lot more. I never personally knew him so it seems ridiculous.. but remembering the letter I wrote him and him sounding like he was made happy by it...that's what I lost this time.

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Pat ! Thanks for another fantastic year of great book reviews, musings and advice...

~ Daniel B.

:-)

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home