My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, February 25, 2013

Gone But Not Forgotten

I realize that when the Oscars and other programs do “In Memorandum” of those we lost from the movie industry that they can’t do them all… but in this case they left off (among others) TWO that I remember so very well.
The first that they missed is Harry Carey Jr. 
Harry was one of John Ford’s stable of “cowboys”.  Whenever Ford made a western (especially with John Wayne) you could count on the fact that Harry would also be in the movie.  His Filmography begins in 1946….
(Article on Harry’s passing.)
harry2_zpsced27651[1]
I was very lucky in that I got to meet Harry at the autograph shows in California when I lived there.
My story goes like this:  I was at the show when 2 men I knew instantly were before me.. they were David Stollary and Tim Considine.  Or to others my age: Disney’s Mickey Mouse Club’s “Spin and Marty”.  I  had a crush on “Marty” back then so I was thrilled to meet them.  Naturally we talked about the series that ran on the Mickey Mouse Club and about Harry Carey Jr being the head of the Ranch they were all on.
harry1_zps75d97dd4[1]
The next thing I knew I was calling to find out Harry’s agent and I wrote Harry a letter and sent it to his agent who forwarded it to Harry.  I told him of the show and that “Spin and Marty” would be there again.
Low and behold.. I got a postcard from Harry saying he would do the show!!!!
Next thing to happen was that Harry wrote a small book called “Company of Heroes” about his cowboy days.  I sent for a signed copy and received it in the mail not long after.   So now I had a postcard written and signed by Harry and his book!
I read the book.. it was very good indeed.  It told how the “valley” (San Fernando Valley) where I lived, was like back in the early days of cowboy movies.. I totally enjoyed the book.  In fact I liked it so much I loaned it to my friend DeForest Kelley (who also did cowboy movies and lived in the valley) to read and later he sent the book back with a post note in it.

harry3_zps665dc19e[1]
harry4_zps27c48166[1]
So you see why I was shocked to find that Harry Carey Jr had passed away and yet was not mentioned on television.  So this is my little tribute to Harry..who (along with his wife) did the show and were super nice people! 
The second person I had already mentioned back when he died and that’s Turhan Bey.
He was one of the loves of my life, and although I never got to meet him he did write me a note and sent me an autographed photo. See my blog entry here.
I am sad that neither of them were mentioned while Barbra Streisand sang “The Way We Were”.. good song for remembering those that we have known for so long in the movies, and who we will always miss.
(article on Turhan’s passing)
turhan1_zps9da8df78[1]
turhan2_zps68e870c3[1]
addendum  about forgotten celebs at the Oscars..
I was reading an article about Andy Griffith being “snubbed” by not being on the list of celebs we lost when at the very end of the article it said that it’s not easy getting on their list to honor..even the relatives have to campaign to be included. So if there are no relatives or they don’t know they have to campaign they are left aside. That makes me angry. At the very least they should divided up the entire list between the Oscars and Globes and award shows so that everyone gets their last hooray from all of us. Here’s a link to an article about the fact they have to campaign to be seen:
http://news.moviefone.com/2013/02/08/oscars-memorial-2013_n_2646729.html

10 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

Those are fantastic stories!! It's always so sad to see the "In Memoriam" posts and to realize just how many greats we lose every year :( It is so wonderful though that you've gotten to meet so many of these people!!

3:46 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

I agree Chris, it's sad..and there's always at least ONE that I didn't know about and it shocks me

4:21 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Great tribute for those that didn't make the telecast last evening. I remember Harry Carey from watching westerns with my father oh so many years ago. I wish they could get the complete list right but nice that you have so many wonderful memories that you can share Pat!

6:25 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I love these actor posts you do, Pat. I don't always know the people concerned but enjoy hearing your memories of them and whether or not you ever got to meet them. Such a shame they didn't get a mention at the Oscars.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I missed the Oscars so I didn't even know who died this year... I remember the big thing when Farrah Fawcett died and she was left off either the Emmys or the Oscars list. I don't know who makes the lists, but the acting world isn't so big that they couldn't keep better track...

9:31 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kathleen: I loved all the old westerns! it's sad they aren't seen as much anymore.

Cath: I just can't believe family members have to try to get them on it! That is so wrong! At least they could do some sort of "post" with every name of everyone that passed away each year.

Kelly:Many were left off including Andy Griffith and he was a movie star before being a television star

11:34 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It is always shocking to me when people are left off this important moment in the Oscars...But, it seems to come down to "time"---as ridiculous as limiting the amount of time someone can speak when winning an Oscar---There were quite a few others not included, Harry Morgan & Ann Rutherford to name just 2...!
Sad, Sad, Sad.

2:20 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

yeah I know it's "time" but must be something that can be done so that they are all "accounted for"... even a special post of some sort..

Gosh Ann Rutherford was a beauty!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

That's just horrible about how people are left off and how families have to campaign for them. Screw time restraints--how can not honoring those who have given to the industry and made it what it is not be worth a few moments of time. Sad.

5:04 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: I think so to because had I not tried to see if there was a "list" I still wouldn't have known that Harry Carey died.

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home