My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Eleanor: The Years Alone

Eleanor: The Years Alone by Joseph P Lash.

Publisher: Konecky, William S;(1972)
ISBN-10: 1568520891   367 pages

 

The New York Times Bestseller—“Superb…Lash has reached the highest level of the biographer’s art.” —Wall Street Journal

Joseph P. Lash, Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer and National Book Award-winning writer of Eleanor and Franklin, turns to the seventeen years Eleanor Roosevelt lived after FDR's death in 1945. Already a major figure in her own right, Roosevelt gained new stature with her work at the United Nations and her contributions to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. She continued her activism on behalf of civil rights, as well as her humanitarian work, which led President Harry Truman to call her the First Lady of the World. Lash has created an extraordinary portrait of an extraordinary person.

I have to show the Inside cover which I love!

As some may know some time ago I read the two huge volumes on Eleanor Roosevelt.  If only we were lucky enough to have her here now to run for President!!  She'd have MY vote!

Then I read a few books of both Eleanor and Franklin.  I truly feel the Roosevelt's did more for this country than any other presidents. (including Theodore)

Eventually I knew I wanted to know more about the years Eleanor spent after Franklin passed away.  I already knew that she did not "fade away" as most do once they are out of office.  But I have to admit I didn't realize "how much" she did!  She was non stoppable and the new President Truman even called on her for advice.

What a remarkable woman she was.  She fought hard for the poor and the needy.  She wanted every American to have a good life, and a fair life. 

She fought for rights of the blacks to desegregate and to have the rights they were born with, without fear. 

And although I don't talk about today's politics I will say that sincerely, I do believe  Franklin and Eleanor's era was the last of the totally corrupt politics that we have today. (unknown if there was "some" but surely not ALL like today.. that's just IMO, which doesn't mean a hill of beans to anyone but me anyway)

So I you like reading about Eleanor I would say that this book sums up "Her Years Alone"... I wish I had the privilege of meeting her.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

You're fast becoming a world expert on Eleanor Roosevelt, Pat! Wouldn't she have been amazing to have to dinner?

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home