My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, October 30, 2015

The Girl on the Train

The Girls on the Train by Paula Hawkins.

Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Riverhead Books (2015)
ISBN-10: 1594633665

 

 

Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?
Compulsively readable, The Girl on the Train is an emotionally immersive, Hitchcockian thriller and an electrifying debut

As I purchased this book from Friends of the Library, the lady leaned over and said: "you won't be able to put this down".   Ohhhh, says I, this sounds good!

So I started reading it the same evening.   I always give a book about 50 pages and if I haven't gotten into it by then it's on to the next book.

Ten pages...

Twenty pages...

Thirty pages... hmmmmm.

Forty, then fifty pages.  by now I am confused.  Each chapter has a persons name on the top.. but every page as you read them is "in the first person"... I, I, I, I.... *sigh*

There's got to be more to this, because the lady said it was .

Sixty pages... finally!  I am beginning to see what's going on!   The "I's" were driving me insane! I couldn't follow "who" I was reading about!  gah!

From page 60 on the story grew.  And it turned into a really good Who Done It?!

I am glad I went beyond the first 50 pages... once past it.. the rest was definitely worth it!   A very good mystery.  My only draw back would be that I didn't care for the "style" of writing.

.. but I would recommend it to people who like a good mystery!

2 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I keep hearing about this book in lotsa places so I'll check to see if the library has it.

10:49 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

That would have driven me nuts! LOL. It sounds like the author is trying to confuse people---to what end--I cannot imagine. Not sure I would have gotten past page 31.....! But, I'm glad it turned out to be a good mystery, after all.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home