My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Murder As A Fine Art

Murder as a Fine Art by David Morrell.

Hardcover: 368 pages
Publisher: Mulholland Books;(May 7, 2013)
ISBN-10: 0316216798


 



 

From Booklist

*Starred Review* At the start of this exceptional historical mystery, an artist of death prepares himself for his greatest creation—the gruesome slaughter of a young shop owner and his family. In 1854, East Londoners hadn’t seen such horrific murders since 1851, when John Williams also killed a shopkeeper and his family in a nearby neighborhood. The new crime finds Detective Inspector Shawn Ryan at the grisly, chaotic crime scene, where evidence is trampled as the killer blithely escapes. Visiting London at the time, for reasons he can’t fully understand, is Thomas De Quincey, scandalous “opium eater” and author of the 1827 satirical essay, “On Murder Considered as One of the Fine Arts,” and two newer essays in which he lauds various horrific details of the Williams killings as sublime art. DI Ryan initially treats the drug-riddled, elderly writer as a suspect but eventually accepts his help, if grudgingly. Military-thriller writer Morrell switches genres here in a riveting novel packed with edifying historical minutiae seamlessly inserted into a story narrated in part by De Quincey’s daughter and partly in revealing, dialogue-rich prose. The page-flipping action, taut atmosphere, and multifaceted characters will remind readers of D. E. Meredith’s Hatton and Roumonde mysteries and Kenneth Cameron’s The Frightened Man (2009). Sure to be a hit with the gaslight crowd. --Jen Baker

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!!  What a way to end my 2015 reading!   This book had me so hooked, I was sorry when it was over.  So much history in this book!  What a great one! and just found a sequel to it.. well, some of the same characters.. so on the wish list it went!!

Anyone who like 1800's mystery/ murders etc. will love this book!

Oh! Did I mention that this is the same author who wrote Rambo and Rambo II?  ..ah well.. he did.

He's been writing for some time but this is the first book I've read by Mr Morrell.  I looked through older books of his but this was the first using certain characters that I really enjoyed... thus I will eventually get the second book he has out using them! (titled: Inspector of the Dead)

I can't say it enough.. I never expected to read another entire book before January but this one was not going to let me leave it on the table!!

Highly recommended!!! 

 

1 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

How brilliant to finish the year with a book that you loved so much! I know how much you love Victorian London. Heck, I hope you get to see 'Dickensian'... every time it comes on I think how much you would love it.

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home