My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, March 05, 2016

Jackie After Jack

Jackie After Jack by Christopher Anderson.

Hardcover: 472 pages
Publisher: William Morrow & Co;(February 1998)
ISBN-10: 0688153127


 

  

 

 

In this much-anticipated sequel to his 1996 bestseller, Jack and Jackie, Christopher Andersen is certain to make headlines once again with his revealing account of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis's life after Jack Kennedy's death.

Incredibly, Jackie Kennedy was only thirty-four when JFK was assassinated. With her husband, she had already captured the world's imagination. Without him, she would hold it until her own death three decades later--achieving a kind of global fame unsurpassed in this century. Billions of words have been written about her, but Jackie guarded her privacy so fiercely that the last thirty years of her life are still veiled in secrecy and mystique. For the first time, drawing on previously sealed archival material and newly declassified government documents--as well as important sources who have agreed to speak here for the first time--Jackie After Jack paints a sympathetic yet often startling portrait of Jackie in all her rich complexity.

Alone after Dallas, Jackie summoned the strength, grace, and dignity to go on. Along the way, she struggled with those all-too-familiar issues of remarriage, in-laws, money, romance, children, stepchildren, grandchildren, aging, illness, and finally, her own mortality. Jackie After Jack traces this remarkable woman's personal journey--and captures the drama, humor, glamour, and heartache that have made Jackie an enduring source of fascination and inspiration for millions.

Startling new revelations include:

The surprising truth about the men in Jackie's life before Onassis and after;

Important new information about Dallas and its aftermath -- including Jackie's battle back from depression;

Raise the flags I finally finished a book!

I have to say that the reason for my dropping off the reading radar is NOT because I wasn't enjoying this book because I was!  I found the author, Christopher Andersen, and excellent writer and he kept me engrossed in the telling of Jackie's life after JFK was assassinated.

As always with "historical" people, there is much you are aware of and much you are not.  This was an excellent representation of Jackie's feelings about her life. 

Some questions are answered and some "secrets" get revealed.  But in the end she remains one of the most revered women ever known.  (however, I would not put her above Eleanor Roosevelt!)

She was beautiful to many.  Highly intelligent. And her life was certainly not all glorious .  So money really cannot buy "everything".

It's a good read for anyone interested in what her life was like after Jack.  I am glad I read it.

 

1 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

This sounds really fascinating. Glad you got to the end of it, I know you've not been too great plus have been crocheting. You're so good at that I don't blame you for slowing down with books and indulging your love of that craft. *Hugs you*

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home