My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Two Short Book Reviews

Wild Fell ( A Ghost Story) by Michael Rowe.

Paperback: 180 pages
Publisher: ChiZine Publications (December 15, 2013)
ISBN-10: 1771481595


(strangely when I went to Amazon to get the above information, it said the paperback was 320 pgs!  A ghost?)

 

 

 

The crumbling summerhouse called Wild Fell has weathered the violence of the seasons for more than a century. Built for his family by a 19th-century politician of impeccable rectitude, the house has kept its terrible secrets and its darkness sealed within its walls. For a hundred years, the townspeople of have prayed the darkness inside Wild Fell would stay there.

First of all I never really buy a book under 200 pgs long so this came as a surprise to me.  As I mention at the top Amazon said it was 320 pgs.. but it was only 180.  Odd.  Very odd.

Anyway, as I read the book I kept thinking that I had read it before. It drove me crazy so I checked all the lists I had and the book was not listed.  I felt this way through most all of the book.. except the ending.  Which came quick and swift!  Hmmm, not sure what to say about the book.  Some will really like it. And yet others may not.  I may have liked it more if I didn't keep having the feeling I read it before...  Maybe there is something to this "ghost thing"!

Sorry for the short review..Not that I write long ones but I just don't know what to say about the book.. except maybe I thought the preface was the best part of the whole book!

 ************************************************************


THE WIT AND WISDOM OF DOWNTON ABBEY

 

The Wit and Wisdom of Downton Abbey by Jessica Fellows.

Hardcover: 128 pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin (October 13, 2015)
ISBN-10: 1250093600


 

 

 

"Come war and peace Downton still stands and the Crawleys are still in it."

Downton Abbey is loved the world over for its fabulous costumes, beautiful scenery, wonderful characters and intricate plot lines, but what keeps millions of us coming back time after time is the stellar quality of the writing. With each stroke of his pen Julian Fellowes seems to gift us with a cuttingly dry quip from the Dowager Countess, a perfectly timed word of wisdom from Mrs Patmore or a touchingly nostalgic pronouncement from Carson. Here in The Wit and Wisdom of Downton Abbey, Jessica Fellowes has gathered together her favorite quotes from the complete Downton Abbey oeuvre to take each of us back to the most memorable moments from the show and ensure we are armed with the very best ripostes should we ever need to chastise an impertinent lady's maid.

 

 

 

 

 

What can I say?  This is a most wonderful book!  One, because it is the humor of Downton Abbey ... and Two because my wonderful "sis", across the Pond, Cath Russell, gave it to me for my Birthday!!!

I so loved each and every character in the series and so this little book will always remind me of them all!

2 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Shame about the first book, but really pleased you enjoyed the Downton Abbey one so much. Always loved the sparring of Lady Grantham and Mrs Crawley. LOL

6:40 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Ooo! I'll have to put the Downton Abbey one on my TBR list! Sounds so good!

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home