My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Indian Heroes and Great Chieftains

Indian Heroes and Great Chieftains by Charles A. Eastman.

Paperback: 144 pages
Publisher: Dover Publications;(November 2, 2011)
ISBN-10: 0486296083


 

 

Raised as a Santee Sioux in the 1860s and 1870s, Charles A. Eastman (Ohiyesa) wrote eleven books in which he attempted to correct misapprehensions whites had about Indians and to bring the two races closer together.
In the present volume he offers biographical sketches of 15 great Indian leaders, most of them Sioux and some of them, like Red Cloud and Rain-in-the-Face, friends and acquaintances of the author. In vivid vignettes Eastman captures the character, achievements and historic importance of such leaders as Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull, Little Crow, Chief Joseph, and Spotted Tail.
Enhanced with 12 portraits, these inspiring pieces will be of great interest to students of American Indian culture and history as well as to anyone who enjoys reading about the larger-than-life figures who dominated Indian life in the second half of the nineteenth century.


This book may be small, but it is mighty.

Much in the book I have read before in other books, but this is short and sweet and written by someone who actually met most of the Indians you are to read about.  You can't get anymore information then from one who was there, even if it was towards the end .

Eastman other books are sold in a collection, which I could never afford but.. there are some of them out by Dover in this small size.  There are at least 2 others I hope to get and add to this one. 

Not everyone is interested in the past of our Native Americans, but more people should be. (that's just in my opinion.)

Anyway.. loved the book.  If you are inclined to read about the Indians I highly recommend this book.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I should think you're fast becoming an expert in the subject, Pat. I looked up that Atlas of North American tribes book and I think the cheapest copy on AmazonUK was around £25 which is $30 or so. I'll think on that one... it is pretty nice.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home