My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, July 28, 2017

My grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry.

My Grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry. by Fredrik Backman. 

Paperback: 372 pages 
Publisher: Washington Square Press;(April 5, 2016) 
ISBN-10: 1501115073


















Amazon: Elsa is seven years old and different. Her grandmother is seventy-seven years old and crazy—as in standing-on-the-balcony-firing-paintball-guns-at-strangers crazy. She is also Elsa’s best, and only, friend. At night Elsa takes refuge in her grandmother’s stories, in the Land-of-Almost-Awake and the Kingdom of Miamas, where everybody is different and nobody needs to be normal. When Elsa’s grandmother dies and leaves behind a series of letters apologizing to people she has wronged, Elsa’s greatest adventure begins. Her grandmother’s instructions lead her to an apartment building full of drunks, monsters, attack dogs, and old crones but also to the truth about fairy tales and kingdoms and a grandmother like no other.

 I have to admit it, I don't remember what made me get this book. It's different from anything I normally read, but in many ways I really liked it. Parts were very sad, and with my depression I thought to put it down, but I didn't and there was only one small part that made me think of my son Thom and cry. Otherwise.. this is a good read. 

 It's mostly about a 7 year old girl that believes the fairy stories her grandma tells her. She loves her Grandmother, but shortly into the book Grandma dies. Her grandmother leaves her an adventure to do for her. It consists of delivering letters to the people in the house where she lives. One is called "the monster", who really scares her. As the story goes along you learn the other peoples lives and how they all connect to the grandmother.. honestly it was interesting, and makes you realize how well of you are in comparison. So.. yes I would recommend this book. But I cannot leave with the blurb that so reminded me of my son: 

"This gets tricky, from a narrative perspective, because the people who reach the end of their days must leave others who have to live our their days without them. It is very, very difficult to be the one who has to stay behind and live without them. "

1 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I've seen this one talked about a lot on Goodreads and wondered about getting it from the library. It sounds really different so if I see it I'll grab it. Glad you enjoyed it, sending *hugs* about that last quote.

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home